Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DVD Review: "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto"


Wow... what did I just watch?

Apparently, Musician/Director Rob Zombie created a comic series a while back called "El Superbeasto", and his latest animated feature "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto" is based off of that series. I was surprised at first that this movie had absolutely no marketing, seeing that Rob Zombie has a large fan base after having directed "The Devil's Rejects" and the re-make of "Halloween". However, once I started watching it, I realized it's simply because there's no way it could have been given a theatrical release (or anything below an NC-17 rating).

Here's the plot: El Superbasto, a famous movie star/action hero, has to save the world from the evil Dr. Satan (surprisingly voiced by Paul Giamatti), after he kidnaps a girl in order to marry her, which would turn him into a sort of "super Satan"... allowing him to take over the world.

That's all there is to the story. There are no character arcs and no thought provoking elements. It's just a bunch weird people thrown into situations that involve extreme violence and constant nudity. Seriously, all of the men are perverts and all of the women are slutty. And for this reason, I didn't care for any of the characters... thus preventing me to feel any sort of excitement. This movie just proves how weird and preverted Rob Zombie is.

As a director, he has an interesting visual style, and that shows in all his other films. Storytelling has never been his strong point though. By directing an animated feature, he doesn't have the ability to apply his visual style, thus relying on the storytelling element and animators to get the job done. While the weird characters and extremely bizarre humor certainly grabbed my attention (I'll admit, I laughed out loud a few times), that's the only thing that kept me watching to the end.
I'd reccommend this if you're a fan of Rob Zombie or just want a different, quirky movie experience. Otherwise, I would stay clear.

My Rating: 4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment